Kik Messenger App makes it easier than ever before to keep in touch with your friends and family. Unlike other apps that ask you to disclose your phone number, Kik for iPhone allows you to sign up and send messages with just your email address, which helps keep your privacy safe. Whether you’re looking to protect your privacy or you’re just looking for a new way to keep in touch, there’s a lot to know about this popular messaging app. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to grasp.
What is Kik?
Kik Messenger app is a free and easy instant messaging and social networking app that uses your Smartphone’s data plan or Wi-Fi connection to send messages to other Kik for iOS users, avoiding those SMS (short message service). It’s available on iOS, Android, and Amazon for Kindle Fire.
While Kik Messenger app is not different in how it transmits communications, it differentiates itself with a distinctive but contentious effort to target a specific demographic: Kik appeals to the teenage crowd because of its importance on privacy and anonymity. As of 2016, Kik Messenger had some 300 million registered users and was used by an approximated 40% of teenagers in the U.S. It hasn’t disclosed any user figures since 2016.
The method is that you do not have to register your phone number with Kik For Google Chrome or Safari— it only your name and email — which allows you to maintain a super-private presence on the platform that’s identifiable by your username, the name you register by.
With only a username as an ID, Kik for Windows lets you exchange messages, photos, videos, sketches, stickers, mobile WebPages, emojis, and other content with others on the platform. It appeals to teen users (the official minimum age is 13 years old), as well as others with privacy concerns.
With a username alternatively of a phone number, you don’t automatically share personal information and details with others — your chat associates on Kik can only see your display name, username, and profile picture. They can’t see your email address, phone number, or birthday, though, within a Kik group, everyone can view your username. An optional feature checks for Kik for Google Chrome accounts that match up email addresses or phone numbers on your Smartphone to help you find your contacts.
- Step 1: To download Kik Messenger on iPhone, search for the Kik app in the App Store and download it. Here’s how:
- Step 2: Tap on the App Store icon on your iPhone’s Home screen.
- Step 3: Tap to the Search icon at the bottom of the App Store screen.
- Step 4: Type Kik in the search field at the top of the screen. As you type, search results look beneath the search field.
- Step 5: Tap on the Kik in the search results.
- Step 6: Select GET in the listing for Kik to start up the app download. If you’re prompted for your Apple ID and password, enter it to continue the downloading.
- Step 7: Tap OPEN, which then appears in the app listing when the download is finished. It replenishes the GET button.
- Step 8: Select the Sign Up on the Kik screen.
- Step 9: Enter your details and information on the screen that opens. A photo and phone number are not needed but recommended. The necessary information is your first and last name, username, email address, and birth date.
- Step 11: Select whether you want to turn on Notifications for the Kik app.
- Step 12: Indicate whether you want to download Kik for PC to find your friends who also use the app, based on your phone contacts if you provide access to them. Tap either Find Friends and enter your phone number if you haven’t finished so already or decline by tapping Not Now.
- Step 13: Select Explore Public Groups on the next page of your screen and locate a public group in one of your interest areas to get started with download Kik for PC. Pick from trending topics or use the Search Public Groups search field and then enter a topic. If you prefer to meet new friends instantly, tap Meet New Friends at the bottom of the screen and Join.
The Bottom Line
Kik is designed to appeal to teens with lots of engaging features that let them communicate and have fun online. It is not for everyone. The company has taken the lead in recent years to reach out to parents and law enforcement, as well as users, to protect the safety of its young chat patrons.
Kik for Windows 10 more than ever, the rules of online engagement apply about chatting with strangers, meeting unknown parties in original places, giving out too many details about yourself, and equipping kids with the optimal amount of supervision and oversight.